So I got myself registered to vote on Day 2 at the Hospital Hill High School centre which covers Karura ward, Westlands constituency, Nairobi County. I hope that my experience will encourage you to register;we have allowed hooligans to reign for too long.
So this is what you can expect when you go in to register.
1. Depending on the number of people at the poll, you will probably have to que. My husband and I qued for about 42 minutes but recorded that each person before us took an average of between 3 & 4 minutes to complete the entire process. #Tip My parents taught me to always try and be at the center as early as possible as it saves time
2. Once you get to the first clerk, you will be asked to give either your ID/Passport and the clerk will fill in your details in a Declaration form which you will sign when you are done with the process.
3. You will be invited to take a seat as the second clerk now keys in your ID into the computer. If, like me you are changing your original center (from the referendum or previous election), the clerk will ask for your telephone and email address.
4. The clerk will then invite you to stand and place your right hand (minus the thumb) on the finger print identification machine.A beep and his approval will let you know that all data has been captured. The process is the same for your left hand and subsequently the two thumbs together.
5. You will then be asked to seat and face the camera attached to Clerk 2’s laptop and depending on the view you may be asked to adjust your seating. I noticed that the software will reject a shot that is either too dark or snapped outside the designated green circle.
6. After that, clerk 1 will hand you a filled declaration form for you to sign just to verify that you have not registered before or been barred from registering. He will also hand you over an acknowledgement slip roughly the size of the old voters cards that has your details as follows; Name, ID, Ward, Constituency & County. I think some centres are laminating this slips but I got mine without lamination. Once this is done, your Identification is returned and you are done.
I noticed with my centre, we were not allowed to park inside since the school was closing and parents were collecting their children.
I told you, it is painless. You still have slightly 20 days please go out and register, it time.